Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Blue-Haired Shopkeeper

My relationship with By Hand began right out of college, when I was hired by Susan and Elaine.  During my first week, Susan pulled me aside.  She pointed out some of our regulars and said simply, “Take a lesson.”  I am not sure what prompted this statement.  Perhaps it was my fearful delivery of, “Let me know if you need anything,” while secretly hoping everyone would say they were okay.  Or maybe it was the same three “grown up” outfits I wore, dutifully rotated each week. 

Following Susan's advice, I paid attention and I learned.  I talked with health workers, film makers, artists, and attorneys.  I talked with people in finance, research, and education.  At By Hand, diversity and talent abound.  You're a smart bunch...confident, warm, and comfortable with yourselves.  At By Hand, I learned to be this way too.  I learned to express my opinions with confidence, to laugh at myself, and to advocate for my needs.  My signature nose wrinkle is familiar to many of you.  I am still a work in progress, but you have helped lay the foundation for the person I am and will become.   I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to help me grow from college student to the woman I am today.

For almost two decades, By Hand has been part of my life.   My journey with By Hand has been similar to many of you who first came to the shop fresh out of college, newly minted adults.  I've progressed from English major to small business owner.  Shopgirl to shopkeeper.  Along the way my hair has changed from black to blue to red to purple to black to blue again.  For many of you, I will always be the blue haired shopkeeper.

I am honored to be part of By Hand.  I hope under my and Paula's stewardship we have done right by the shop, our staff, and by all of you.  By Hand, my staff, and all of you have certainly done right by me.  

17 comments:

  1. Romy, what a beautiful piece of writing. I'm stunned and we will miss you. But we'll be in for shirts for Steve. And you and I will always share a birthday. Cheers to you and all best, Jan B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jan, we will always share a birthday. Our 3-Day Fall Sale is scheduled the weekend before our birthday. A good time for you and Steve to come in for a visit. Thanks for the warm wishes!

      Delete
  2. Oh I am SO sorry to hear you guys are closing. By Hand is my go to store not only for much of my wardrobe, but as a place where I can noodle around comfortably if I have some free time, surrounded by beautiful clothes and kind people. Good luck on your next adventure--you will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Noodling is always welcome!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful thoughts and writing, Romy... Maybe your next chapter will be pursuing your talents as a writer! Ian either case, wishing you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes. When doors close, new ones open...

      Delete
  4. Truly the end of an era. I discovered By Hand when my son was in college and I would come to Berkeley to visit him. when I moved here your store became my 'go to' shop for occasions big and small. Thanks for your wonderful taste (that so matches mine!) and welcoming spirit. I grew up in the retail business and once upon a time my Mom was the 'blue haired shopkeeper.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your By Hand story Anita. It's been so interesting to hear from everyone how you all found us and the way we've been in your life throughout the years. I love that your mother was also a blue haired shopkeeper. Traditions carry forward...in small ways we are unaware.

      Delete
  5. I have shopped at By Hand since the early Vine St days. More than half my wardrobe has come from your store. The only place I can find stylish clothes for the "mature" (ahem) women and the only place I can find jeans that fit. Thank you and you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of you have been with us since the early days on Vine Street (and some even Telegraph). It's been bittersweet reminiscing. We're going to try to find out where all our lines are going and put together a little resource for everyone at the end. We are fortunate that Berkeley has retained their local businesses.

      Delete
    2. That would be wonderful!!
      Truly in the spirit with which you've run the business.

      Delete
  6. Hi Paula & Romy, This is Susanne Gallo. Thank you for your warm messages to your customers. I am sad that one of my favorite stores, By Hand is closing but I'm also very happy for both of you that you'll be doing what you want to do in the next phase of your lives. Paula, I hope you enjoy your retirement & get to do some relaxing & fun stuff. I'm sure you have a list of things waiting for you. Romy, I hope you get to do something else that you're passionate about. I would love to hear what that might be? You have a strong eye for fashion/style. Paula & Romy, you were both very friendly, kind, & caring to me & you took a great interest in your customers. I always enjoyed coming to By Hand & will miss you both & your wonderful store. Wishing you Paula, & Romy, a wonderful future filled w/awe, new opportunities, good health, peace, & joy! Thanks for being there for all of us! Susanne P.S. I don't have a google account & what's listed below so I don't know if you'll receive my message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Susanne. Thanks for all the good wishes. Isn't that what we all want? Awe, new opportunities, good health, peace & joy...definitely worthy things to strive for. My neighbor set up a wishing tree (love the wishing tree). I'm going to write a tag wishing those things for all of us.

      Delete
  7. Romy, as many have said, your writing is wonderful and so heartfelt. Also, as others have said, most of the clothes in my closet and my boyfriend's closet are from By Hand. I so appreciated the honesty of you and your staff to say if something did not look good and did not want to sell something that was not right. I will miss you all.
    I was also happy to see that you are reading Salt, Sugar and Fat. I have been telling people about that book, but you are the only other person I know who is reading it! Maybe we can discuss it someday.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words Susan. By Hand has always tried to offer helpful advice and suggestions. Salt, Sugar, and Fat was a grim little book. Clearly consumer choice is not enough to get ourselves out of this food mess. If you haven't read Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America from Monsanto to Wal-Mart by Wenonah Hauter, I would recommend it.

      Delete
  8. Have you seen the documenatary Fed Up or Forks Over Knives? Also good. Sad, but good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen either, and both are available at Berkeley Public Library. I'll put myself on the waiting list. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete